ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — By Aug. 30, George Paton and Nathaniel Hackett will have to narrow their roster to the Broncos’ final 53-man roster.
But before then, there are two other cut deadlines that every NFL team must meet. By Tuesday, Aug. 16, every team must narrow down their roster from 90 to 85. The following week, on Tuesday, Aug. 23, teams must be down to 80 players.
These days “suck,” as Hackett put it on Tuesday.
“These guys have been busting their behinds for all the way back to Phase 1. They’re part of our group. They’re part of our family. We appreciate everything those guys have done,” the head coach added. “t will talk with everybody. It’s one of those things. The guys know I embrace even those rough times. I just want to make sure I thank them for everything they’ve done.”
Hackett added he and George Paton have tremendous communication, which helps as the team dwindles down the roster.
“Any time you make any cut, you’re always making hard decisions because the guys have done a great job,” Hackett said. “I think I’m very lucky to have a guy like George that you can communicate with, you can talk with, if you have a disagreement you can work it out and figure out what’s best for the team in the long run. Talk about the football aspect, the person is another thing. All of those things we want to make sure we’re having the right people here that are doing there job and we’re on the same page from that standpoint.”
Here are the moves Denver made in the first set of cuts.
- S Jamar Johnson
- The 2021 fifth-round pick played in three games for the Broncos his rookie season.
- RB Max Borghi
- The Colorado Native signed with the team on Aug. 3. In the first preseason game, he had four carries for 10 yards.
- WR Kaden Davis
- The undrafted rookie receiver out of Northwest Missouri State played in the first preseason game, but did not haul in a pass.
- TE Rodney Williams
- The 6-foot-4, 235-pound tight end made a few impressive catches during training camp, but wasn’t able to rise in the depth chart due to a stacked group of tight ends.
- WR Travis Fulgham
- The veteran receiver spent the final month of last season with the Broncos.