On Feb. 22, Sean Payton saw a Tweet from a local media member stating it was “embarrassing” that his coaching staff was barely filled out. The Denver Broncos’ new head coach responded with two simple sentences, stating his staff was well on its way to being complete.
“16 with 5 to go. We’ll fill you in when we’re ready,” Payton’s Tweet said.
In the 24 hours following his tweet, Payton’s staff went from barely known to the public to nearly complete. But a few notable positions remained vacant.
Here is everything you need to know about where things stand with Payton’s coaching staff.
Most recent updates
Tuesday, Feb. 28
- Hired Austin King as assistant offensive line coach. King was the Bears assistant offensive line coach last year.
Monday, Feb. 27
- The Broncos have hired Lou Ayeni as their running back coach. Ayeni has coached running backs dor nearly 15 years, with his most recent stop at Northwestern.
Saturday, Feb. 25
- The Broncos announced that Joe Lombardi will be the team’s offensive coordinator. Lombardi spent a decade with Sean Payton in New Orleans as the Saints’ quarterback coach. Last season, Lombardi was the Los Angeles Chargers’ offensive coordinator.
- John Morton has been named the team’s pass game coordinator. Morton was the Lions senior offensive assistant in 2022. He coached with Sean Payton with the Saints in 2006 and 2015-16.
- The Broncos officially announced their coaching staff hires, including Vance Joseph as their defensive coordinator.
- Dan Dalrymple will officially be the Broncos’ head strength and conditioning coach. Korey Jones will remain as the team’s assistant strength and conditioning coach.
- The team has yet to name a running backs coach. That’s the only position coach position that remains vacant.
- Paul Kelly will be the team’s assistant to the head coach. Kelly spent the past 11 seasons as the Washington Commanders director of football operations.
Friday, Feb. 24
- The Broncos hired Beau Lowery to lead the team’s health and performance program, according to Mike Klis. “Lowery’s job with the Broncos will be to oversee their athletic training, strength & conditioning, nutrition and sports science systems,” Klis stated. Lowery spent nine seasons with the New Orleans Saints and Sean Payton from 2012-2021. He most recently was LSU’s director of sports medicine. Lowery’s hiring comes as no surprise as Greg Penner stated in December how he’s exhausting every possible way to keep the team healthy throughout the season. Additionally, according to Klis, the Broncos hired EXOS to help the team with their sports performance program.
- Head Coach — Sean Payton
- Assistant head coach — Mike Westhoff
- Assistant to the head coach — Paul Kelly
- Offensive Coordinator — Joe Lombardi
- Defensive Coordinator — Vance Joseph
- Special Teams Coordinator — Ben Kotwica
- Assistant special teams coordinator — Chris Banjo
- Head Strength & Conditioning — Dan Dalrymple
- Assistant Strength & Conditioning — Korey Jones
- Health & Performance Program Head — Beau Lowery
- Pass game coordinator — John Morton
- Quarterbacks coach — Davis Webb
- Running backs coach — Lou Ayeni
- Wide receivers coach — Keary Colbert
- Offensive line coach — Zach Strief
- Assistant offensive line coach — Austin King
- Tight ends coach — Declan Doyle
- Offensive quality control coach — Zack Grossi
- Offensive quality control coach — Logan Kilgore
- Defensive line coach — Marcus Dixon
- Inside linebackers coach — Greg Manusky
- Outside linebackers coach — Michael Wilhoite
- Defensive backs coach — Christian Parker